Martin S. King
Martin King has been a lawyer with Worden Thane for over 34 years. His high-energy, passionate and common sense approach to legal matters translates into economically reasonable, timely and successful outcomes for his clients.
Martin’s practice concentrates on complex commercial and real estate transactions and litigation, banking law and litigation including complex foreclosures, bankruptcy litigation including creditors rights, employment law and litigation, professional malpractice defense litigation, toxic tort litigation, trials and appeals. Martin has tried a variety of cases before numerous Montana State District Courts, in the United States District Court for Montana and before the Montana Bankruptcy Court. He has been lead counsel on more than 25 cases before the Montana Supreme Court and on numerous cases before the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Since 2008 Martin has been an adjunct professor of law at the University of Montana teaching various articles of the Uniform Commercial Code.
An avid and long-time biker, hiker and skier, Martin is a reliable source for information about Montana trails and back country.
- Willamette University College of Law, Salem, Oregon
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence – 1984
- University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon
- B.S., Bachelor of Science – 1980
- Montana, 1984
- U.S. District Court District of Montana, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1986
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, 1984
- Confederated Salish Tribal Court, 2004
- 50% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Year Joined Firm
- First Montana Bank, Inc.
- First Interstate Bank
- Allied World Assurance Companies
- Foster Wheeler Energy Corporation
- Double Arrow Ranch Landowners Association, Inc.
Honors and Awards
- BEST LAWYERS – 2007 – Present: banking, bankruptcy and creditors rights, bet-the-company litigation, real estate law, banking-finance litigation
- 2019 BEST LAWYERS – “Lawyer of the Year,” banking-finance litigation
- CHAMBERS AND PARTNERS – Real Estate (Band I)
Pro Bono Activities
- Montana Justice Foundation
- YMCA Partners with Youth
- Swim Missoula
- First Montana Bank
- First Interstate Bank
- Adjunct Professor, University of Montana School of Law
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Montana
- Western Montana Bar Association, Associate Member, 1984 – Present
- American Trial Lawyers Association, Associate Member, 1984 – 1990
- Montana Defense Trial Lawyers
- National Arbitration Forum
- Montana Bar Bankruptcy Section
- Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribal Court
Contact Worden Thane P.C.
While this website provides general information, it does not constitute legal advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific legal issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a meeting with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form below.